Papigo is surrounded by important historical places, with remarkable archaeological findings that signal the presence of man even from the Prehistoric Era. In the cave Klidi, in Voidomatis, the signs of human activity from the Prehistoric Era are obvious. There, many bone tools and firestone blades were discovered. In Elafotopos there are case-shaped tombs of the late 3th century B.C. In Vitsa there is a prehistoric stockbreeding settlement (9th/8th century B.C. until the late 4th century B.C.). The camp of King Pirros in Kastraki of Agios Minas (Saint Minas) and the Kastraki above the village Vitsiko reveal the vivid and continuous human presence that was resumed by the presence of the Molossoi and the Romans until the beginnings of 6th century when the Slavic races settled in the area.
The first historical facts on Papigo were presented in the books by P. Aravantinos (1856), where one can find extensive reports on the older settlements and autonomy of Papigo, and by Ioannis Lampridis (1889), who reported on the churches of Agios Vlassios-built in 912- and on the church of Paliouri-built in 980. The oldest written report on Papigo is found in a golden bull of Andronikos II of the year 1325 where the villages of Papigo, Elafotopos and Ano Pedina, are mentioned. During the 14th century, Papigo was an autonomous region and was one of the autonomous countries of the medieval Ipiros.
The "Country of Papigo", played an important role in the grapples of the Arcbishop of Ioannina, due to its strategic place and natural fortification. During these difficult times the local conflicts of feudal lords, the raids of Albanians, the descent of the Serbs and the first spread of the Turks were destroying Ipiros. The Turkish conquest found Papigo with a regime of a faddish military and administrative semi-autonomy. After 1430, the Turks in order to ensure dominance in the mountainous regions applied a policy of concession of privileges in communities or teams of communities that capitulated with them. Thus, up to the 17th century the entire Zagori constituted a self-governed federal region named "Kinon" or "Vilaeti of Zagori''. According to these privileges, Zagori was allocated autonomy and self-government with a superior ruler, the Vekili of Zagori, and had complete freedom in the implementation of religious duties. These privileges were maintained up to 1868 when they were suppressed.
After 1868, when the privileges are suppressed, the region began to be infested by gangs of robbers, something which had consequences both on the economic life and on the manpower given that this situation made most families of sovereigns, who were the main objective of robbers, leave Zagori. This period lasted until 1913, when the villages of Zagori and Papigo were released from the Turkish domination.
The contribution of the residents of the village was important during the World War II, when many lost their lives.